The Healthy Voyager
A vegan shouldn’t dread travel but finding food in unfamiliar places can be stressful. Whether you’re on a business trip to Houston or a vacation in Thailand, the Healthy Voyager has got you covered. At the Seed: A Vegan Experience, I was fortunate to catch the healthy voyager, Carolyn Scott-Hamilton and her priceless knowledge on vegan travel.
Carolyn has been vegan for 14 years In college, she gained 50 pounds her freshman year. Thanks to her vegan diet and her own craftiness, she’s presently slim and trim. She started health voyage through trial and error and has come up with some incredible tips.
Here are some of my favorites:
- A bpa-free plastic water container bag
- Packets of “Go Greens” turns water into vitamin and vegetable goodness
- Vegan Passport – phrase book to order vegan in any language
- Select Wisely card is similar to the vegan passport but has pictures so you can hand it to your server.
- Using your hotel coffee maker as a hot plate
- Using your hotel coffee maker as a grill
- Pack a thin and floppy plastic cutting board
- Bring your own tea
- For road trips pack a cooler
- Call ahead to see if they can accommodate your diet
Some of this may seem like common sense but you may recall our Napa Challenge. We could have used a list. Check out her website. You may become overwhelmed. It seems Carolyn has thought of everything. Enjoy your own vegan travel consultant. Thanks Carolyn.